Monday, March 10, 2014

Grabber Challenge: "It's my robot! It's doesn't work!"

After completing the Robot Educator Basics in the EV3 Mindstorms software, I turned to Damien Kee's Classroom Activities for the Busy Teacher: EV3. The Grabber challenge seemed like a good one. I gave the kids the option of designing and building their own grabber attachment or using the instructions provided in Damien's pdf of his book. Most if not all chose his design. A spectrum of success ensued. Two groups had quick success while others struggled. "It's my robot! It doesn't work!" (Of course. How could it be something they have done?) I heard this over and over again from one group. We examined the program. We tried someone else's program that worked. It did not work on this robot. I began to think that the student was right, that maybe there was something wrong with their brick or robot. Then one girl came to rescue and spotted the problem. Can you?

                                  Figure 1.

                                  Figure 2.


Give up? Figure 1 has a piece positioned incorrectly. Figure 2 has the same piece correctly positioned. See if you can find it. 

Spoiler alert. 

In Figure 1, the 2 module cross block that the worm gear axle goes through has the axle in a locked position so that the medium motor cannot move or rotate. Notice the difference in Figure 2.

It was not the brick after all. How long will it take before I learn that the problems the kids and myself have while programming or building are rarely, rarely ever due to a malfunctioning robot. Throwing up your hands and simultaneously declaring, "It's my robot!" is a way to avoid ownership and responsibility for the problem and to avoid making the effort to troubleshoot and problem solve. In my opinion, students need more experience in both of these areas. Taking responsibility and problem-solving apply to life in general. 

As always, thank you for reading.  

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I need to make that step far more obvious. If it makes you feel better, it is the number 1 mistake that people make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so, but I like it. It is good problem solving for the kids and makes them realize that a simple mistake can cause it not to work, and that a simple fix from being observant can fix it. I say keep it the same. Thanks

      Delete